Along with home gifts, you may want to consider clothing someone else for the holidays. This decision is rife with danger, but here are a few foolproof solutions. Don’t be ashamed if you keep one for yourself.
You should be looking for a two things when gifting clothing, uniqueness, to show you’ve put some thought in, and widespread appeal, so there’s more guarantee of awed approval. Go for near universal pleasers, the gloves, socks, sweaters (shirts are okay too), hats, and slippers.
Gifts for Him
- Polo Bear Sweater by Polo Ralph Lauren | As classic as it gets, the Polo Bear Sweater became legend in the early nineties. Voted back by the public and rereleased in a navy, cotton linen blend, this one will be harder to find. Pray for a restock before the 25th, but calling your local department store may be your best bet. Guaranteed showstopper.
- Cashmere V Neck Sweater in Color Block by Uniqlo | Cashmere at this price is hard to come by, this Uniqlo piece is a nice starter v-neck for the sweater novice. With a more-luxurious-than-it-costs feel, the color block adds some interest, and it’s an all around great sweater for beginners that want a little luxury in their newfound layer.
- Step Invisible Cotton-Blend Socks in White by Falke | Channel their inner sprezzatura during the warmer months by gifting these no-show socks. Directions: roll pants up slightly above the ankle and use these socks with lace ups for a little nonchalant excellence.
- Indigo Cable Crew Sock in Light Indigo by Anonymousism I Cable knit isn’t just for sweaters anymore and Japanese cult favorite Anonymousism creates infinitely giftable socks. They’ve got a range of options but the light indigo is a personal favorite. Two pairs for someone you really like.
- Leather Crotchet Touchscreen Gloves by Mujjo | A luxurious combination of Ethiopian lambskin, Egyptian cotton, and featuring a cashmere lining, these gloves offer nanotechnology too. They can fully interact with almost any touchscreen. These aren’t your basic “pointer and thumb only” gloves, the nanotech is embedded invisibly into the leather and doesn’t change how it feels or behaves. For example, whoever gets them could call to thank you with their whole palm if they wanted to.
- Leather Town Gloves in Tan by Rapha | Not only reserved for cycling’s elite, Rapha Leather Town Gloves will work in any cold weather situation. Made from African hair sheep leather these gloves feature marksman-grade palm padding, which is good for handlebars or anything else slightly abrasive. Think of these as a useful version of driving gloves or the best cycling gloves anyone could ever ask for, either way they’ll be happy.
- White Dress Shirt by Hamilton 1883 | You know how boring shopping for a white shirt is, you’ve done it before, it’s terrible. Save him all the trouble for the rest of his life with one of the finest dress shirts in America. From Hamilton’s RTW line, comes this stark white beauty, slim fit, 100% Italian cotton, highest quality mother of pearl buttons, hand cut, and sewn in the USA. The semi-spread collar means it’ll be in style forever too. Good thing you accept Thank You cards year round.
- Tokyo Slim Fit Cutaway Pinpoint Oxford by Kamakura Shirts | Every man needs a crisp white shirt, and this one fits the bill. A slim fit number in just the right dressy/casual Oxford cloth, adds a cutaway collar for extra style points. You’ll need proper sizing (neck and arm length) but it comes in a range of colors for under $80. Holiday winner. Gift more than one color for the truly loved.
- Bonnets Rayes in Ecru and Marine by Saint James | Classic French stripes in their signature color combo, this pattern was popularized by Saint James shirts worn by Picasso, James Dean, and Warhol. They’ve existed since 1889, crafting all of their legendary products in France. It’s 100% wool and you’ll probably want to mention Picasso, Dean, and Warhol with this one.
- Blue Wool & Cashmere Muirin Rib Fisherman Hat by Inis Meain | Luxurious wool and cashmere hat hand knitted and linked on the island of Inis Meain. The company was founded by a Celtic scholar, who continues the age old tradition of Irish knits. If you’ve seen the weather there, you know they know all about warm knitwear.
- Luxury Plush Foot Duvets by Restoration Hardware | Exceptionally comfortable down filled house slippers from Restoration Hardware in a range of colors. These can’t be hated by anyone that tries them on. Poly plush on the inside and did I mention they’re down filled slippers?
Make sure to check out the other gift guides here.
Take a look at other handsome hats and shirts here.
Another great gift, leather bags, check out some options here.
If you know the size, take a look at some winter boot options here.
Have a favorite? Leave it in the comments.